PENTAX 645Z owners rejoice! Ricoh has released an Adobe Lightroom plugin that will let owners of its popular PENTAX 645 medium format camera shoot tethered.
The software plug-in enhances the tethered capture capabilities of the PENTAX 645Z camera by enabling files to easily be uploaded into Adobe Lightroom during a studio session, where they can readily be viewed, shared and edited.
The PENTAX Tethered Capture Plug-in for Adobe Lightroom is an easy-to-install, powerful and streamlined tethering solution that allows any photographer to manage their own workflow from capture to output.
How to Install the Plug-in
- Download the plug-in – it’s free and is available to download here
- To add a plug-in, open the Plug-in Manager in Adobe Lightroom
- Click the Add button to open Finder or Windows Explorer, navigate to the location of the plug-in file on your computer, select it and click Add Plug-in
- Once you add it, you will see your plug-in listed in the Plug-in Manager
- Select the plug-in and click the Enable button
Staying Connected while Tethering with USB 3.0 Cameras
The PENTAX 645Z utilizes a TetherPro USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Micro-B Cable for tethered shooting. USB 3.0 cameras often run into trouble connecting and staying connected when using tethering software such as Lightroom. The core issue is that computer manufacturers, mostly in an attempt to be as efficient with power as possible, are either under powering or dynamically powering their USB 3.0 ports.
Tether Tools has developed the TetherBoost to combat and fix this issue. The TetherBoost™ USB 3.0 Core Controller is designed to boost and regulate power from a USB 3.0 camera. TetherBoost™ provides enough consistent power to maintain a stable, reliable connection when a camera is connected to a computer via USB cables. TetherBoost is self-powered and can be powered by the host computer. However, using external power is optimal to reduce the drain on camera and computer batteries when shooting tethered.